The Greater Jackson Memorial Church of God In Christ and our distinguished leaders give this Church a unique place in the Brotherhood. Our church has distinguished itself in the brotherhood by birthing eight (8) Bishops in the COGIC
The Holy Spirit led Elder Jackson to a stranger, a Mister Alexander, who provided an upstairs room in a two story framed building, where meetings were held with prayer and fasting. Souls continued to be saved and added to the church. Elder Jackson was led to a vacant lot at 1705 Logan Avenue, where services were held in a tent until a permanent building could be erected. Bishop C.H. Mason along with overseer E.M. Wilson dedicated the church to the Lord. The building stands to this day at 1705 Logan Avenue.
In September of 1947, Bishop S.M. Crouch, appointed the Elder J.A. Blake Sr., to Jackson Memorial Church. Under this dynamic leadership, the church quickly outgrew that edifice. Land was purchased at 38th and Ocean View Blvd. In January 1955, ground was broken, and early in 1956 construction of the current edifice was begun. The building was completed in 1957, and the Lord blessed us to burn the mortgage on September 27, 1964. To this date the building remains one of the most beautiful churches in San Diego. Under Bishop Blake’s leadership, Jackson Memorial grew to become a dynamic and productive ministry, meeting the spiritual and physical needs of the people, enhancing lives and nurturing and developing character, while bringing many sons and daughters into the kingdom. Many churches and ministries grew out of this great church. We thank God for the leadership of this great man of vision, who not only ministered in word and doctrine, but was consistently diligent in labors and financial sacrifices, always abounding in the work of the Lord.
In 1984, the Lord called Bishop Blake Sr. from labor to reward. Because of his visionary leadership ability and love for God’s people, the eldest son of Bishop Blake was called by the church, and appointed in 1985 by the Presiding Bishop J.O. Patterson. Pastor J.A. Blake Jr., immediately began programs of improvements and beautification of the existing church properties, while purchasing additional adjoining properties, greatly enhancing the church’s capacity for ministry and expansion. Upon assuming leadership of the church, Elder Blake was burdened by the increase of drug addiction in the community and among the saints. He immediately led the church into an intense drug intervention program, Y.O.G.A.D., (Youth of God against – Drugs), and raised $50,000, to implement the program, which resulted in 26 (twenty-six) young men and women being delivered from the curse of drug addiction. Other focus areas include academic excellence for students and opportunities for young men to learn skills trades such as carpentry, plumbing and electrical.
In 1999, the Lord directed the church be renamed to Fountain Of Life. It would be a name that glorified God and not man. The Lord gave the name “Fountain of Life” Ps 36:9 “For with thee is the Fountain of Life; in thy light we see light,” and with the unanimous support of the membership the church became legally known as Fountain of Life. It was later confirmed by Mother Lula Champion Blake (wife of the late Bishop J.A. Blake, Sr.), that this was also a desire the Lord had placed on the heart of his father in the early years of the church. Praise God for confirmation!!
TO GOD BE THE GLORY!
(Portions of this history was written by Elder L.H. Eddings)